Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sewing Room Clock

I needed a clock for my craft room and could not find one that I liked, so I decided to make my own.  After looking around on Pinterest and Etsy, I decided that the button clock was the perfect match for my craft room.


Materials:
  • 1 Fat Quarter
  • Assorted buttons (I chose 1 large button for 12 o'clock and 3 smaller buttons for 3, 6, and 9).
  • Clock mechanism (available at any craft store)
  • 1 10" Needlepoint hoop (though, really you could use any size you wanted)
  • 1 piece of cardboard cut to the size and shape of the needlepoint hoop
  • 1 Grommet (interior hole should be the right size for the clock mechanism's shaft to fit snuggly into)


Next, mark the appropriate location for the buttons.  I used a protractor to do this and this is when I realized that it would be much simpler to only mark the four main times.


Next, transfer the marks to the back of the fat quarter and punch a hole for the grommet.  Secure the grommet in place.


Secure the buttons to the fabric.  When I made this clock, I sewed the buttons on (because that's what you do with buttons, right?)  but in retrospect, it might be much easier to glue the buttons on at the end.  Getting the buttons in the right place was a pain in the butt!

Next, secure the fabric through the needlepoint hoop and staple the fabric to the cardboard.  Trim the excess fabric and slide the clock mechanism through the grommet.



Finally, following the instructions on the packaging from the clock mechanism (make sure they're in the right order!) attach the clock hands.  Put in the battery and hang it up!


No comments:

Post a Comment